6. Wiens Brewing – Honey Wheat has an addition of local Avocado Blossom Honey to create a clean and crisp beer for the hot summer in Temecula (and elsewhere). And it will make a good comparison to the next beer on the list…
7. Pacific Plate Brewing – Agave Wheat takes the classic American-style wheat beer “brewed with agave syrup which is extracted from the roots of the Agave plant.” Toss in some light hops and you get a summer refresher.
8. Beach City Brewery – Overcast Summer Wheat, from one of the newest brewing operations in the L.A. area, combines a “wheat sweetness with a tropical kick of mango and melon thanks to a dry hop with the yet to be named HBC 342.”
9. Anchor Brewing – Summer Beer is a seasonal release that may slip through the cracks after their brand new releases of IPA and Saison, but this is a California classic brewed since the mid 1980’s.
10. North Coast Brewing – Blue Star – Another passed-by option on the shelves, maybe because everyone has had this beer early in their craft beer conversion. But Blue Star is a solid example of the style without many bells and whistles.
Find more of Sean Inman’s writing on his blog, Beer Search Party.