Melbourne Food & Wine Festival Recipe: Mushroom Soup
Representatives from the Melbourne Food & Wine Festival asked me to participate in their 2013 Recipe Challenge. For my efforts, they’re flying me to New York, where they’ll announce a winner on January 15. If this recipe takes the prize on Pinterest, I’m headed to Melbourne for the fest! The theme of this year’s festival is “Earth,” and when thinking about how that translates to a recipe, I thought of mushrooms. Instead of delivering a simple side, my goal was to create a one-dish meal: mushroom soup. To heighten the flavors, I added Aleppo pepper, lemon juice, and two bright, colorful garnishes: more Aleppo, plus Italian parsley.
Prep and Cooking Time: 1 hour
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/4 teaspoon Aleppo pepper
3 cloves minced garlic
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms
4 ounces oyster mushrooms
6 ounces cremini mushrooms
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
6 cups chicken stock
1 cup barley
1 lemon (to squeeze)
Parsley (to garnish)
1. Soak barley overnight, to reduce cooking time.
2. Chop onions, celery and mushrooms.
3. In a pot, melt the butter at medium-high heat.
4. Add onions, celery and Aleppo pepper to the pot.
5. Stir ingredients until soft.
6. Add garlic, cook for 30 seconds.
7. Add mushrooms and stir until they leech liquid.
8. Add stock and bring to a boil.
9. Simmer soup and stir for 15 minutes.
10. In a separate pot, cook barley in 2.5 cups water, boil and cook off liquid.
11. Add barley to soup.
12. Ladle soup into bowls.
13. Squeeze lemon on each bowl of soup.
14. Sprinkle on Aleppo pepper and chopped parlsey.
15. Season to taste.
16. Serve and enjoy.